International Conference on “Ending sexual and gender-based violence in humanitarian crises”
National Statement of Madagascar Deliver by
Mrs Mialy Rajoelina
President of FITIA,
First Lady of Madagascar
UNFPA Champion for GBV
Oslo, May 24, 2019
I am bringing with me the warm greetings and best wishes to the Kingdom of Norway from my husband, Andry Rajoelina, President of the Republic of Madagascar.
We are gathered here as leaders and stakeholders, to seek ways and means to end sexual and gender-based violence.
Madagascar is exposed to several natural hazards all along the year.
Addressing SGBV in my country- Madagascar, means stopping the burden of 30% of the population which suffers from SGBV. Sexual assault accounts for 44% of cases and implications for the well-being and prosperity of our people are numerous.
This is not anymore acceptable and should stop.
It has signed and ratified various international instruments for the protection of human rights. By working with UNFPA, the government has adopted as goal – “zero gender-based violence and harmful practices including early marriage”. The country has put in place a National Strategy on GBV.
Respecting rights and choices is at the core of our new development agenda (IEM).
Today, we need to stand, to inspire and lead by example.
I, Mialy Rajoelina,
– I recommit to raise awareness of human rights
– I pledge to work to enact the law on Gender-Based-Violence to prevent any form of impunity
– I pledge to put in place the necessary structures to support, assist and allow victims to speak up without fear or shame.
– I commit to fight against early marriages by giving young Malagasy girls access to proper civic education on this subject at school and in higher education
– I commit to set up a non-corrupt and rapid system to fight against GBV with the institutional support of civil society Realizing this vision of zero GBVs is of paramount importance and Madagascar will be one of the leading force in Africa in the fight against SGBV.
From now I invite all of us to join our efforts and work together to eradicate this scourge.
I thank you for your kind attention.